Feb 5

Consignment Sales in Northern Virginia & Garage Sales for Kids Clothes

Okay, I admit it, I’m a frugal mom! I love consignment sales for buying my kid’s clothing. Have you noticed how fast our babies and toddlers grow out of their clothes and need the next size up? Have you also noticed how kids seem to spit up or get everything messy so quickly? If I were to buy all brand new clothes for my kid I would be spending a pretty penny. Instead, I’ve become a consignment sale shopper! I buy clothes that other parents consign. They gather together their gently-used, in-good-condition kids clothes that their children have outgrown, and they sell them at a consignment sale. Sometimes, I have even found items that are new with tags on. Many of these sales are held at schools, community centers or churches on the weekends, particularly in fall and spring. Here’s a great website with a fairly complete listing of local Northern Virginia/DC Metro kids’ consignment sales:

And a calendar of those coming up in the Springtime: Our Kids Listing of Spring Consignment Sales
And In the Fall: Our Kids Listing of Fall Consignment Sales

Garage sales can also be a good place to find used children clothing at extremely reasonable prices. Sometimes my parents go garage sale shopping and get some great deals for our little guy. Sometimes people give away things for free (or nearly free) near the end of their yard sale if they haven’t had any takers. Community yard sales are a good bet for children clothes as well as grandparents and parents selling things that their kids have out-grown. Last year at the end of a yard sale, a lady gave me a free box of toddler boys’ shoes and a free high end toddler car seat. I was thrilled because those are things that I could make good use of! I haven’t found a great online tool listing upcoming garage sales in our area, but from what I’ve heard Craig’s List has a pretty good listing of garage sales in the Northern VA area, and you can search the listings for key words like “children clothes”, “baby” etc.

If you know of any other good websites, listing, or on-line tools regarding consignment sales or garage sales, please post a comment and let your other frugal friends know about it!  Thanks for reading!

Christina September 12, 2009 at 9:42 pm
Jim MacDiarmid October 28, 2009 at 8:53 am

Hi everyone, I’ve been a Northern Virginia resident for about 40+ years and have launched a community website/forum for Virginia residents called TalkVirginia. The purpose of TalkVirginia is to give Virginia residents as well as anyone that has a passion for Virginia a place to connect with other residents, and discuss Virginia related topics. TalkVirginia also has a section for posting classifieds, and upcoming garage and/or yard sales anywhere Virginia. The site has been running for about 2 years and is 100% free to use. Everyone is welcome, and we hope you will stop by and check it out. If you have questions or comments about our site, please feel free to shoot me an email: jim at talkvirginia.net
PS… Laura, if your hubby needs advertising space for his business, we have that too. :)

frugalfriends October 28, 2009 at 10:24 am

Thanks for sharing Jim! I’ll be sure to check out the site.
Laura

Chrissy June 23, 2010 at 11:05 am

Here’s a list of sales in Virginia (plus ratings, reviews and a MAP): http://consignmentmommies.com/ChildrensConsignmentSalesbyState/Virginia.html

Megan Podolsky July 22, 2010 at 6:51 am

Hi frugal friends! I own a consignment boutique in Alexandria, VA. Currently we are online, however we will be in a store front soon! Check us out:
If you are interested in consigning, we can meet up with you to collect your items, once the agreement is filled out!
We are having a summer clearance sale this Sunday July 25th at the Cameron Cafe in Alexandria, Va from 9:00 am-2:00 pm! Hope to see you there!!

Erin September 21, 2010 at 8:19 am

Hello all,
I have started a new seasonal kids consignment sale in the Fairfax area. Our first sale is October 16th and 17th at the Best Western Fairfax. Please visit my website SHConsignment.com. There is still plenty of time to consign!!!

Megan Podolsky September 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Hi Frugal Friends! Join 529 Kids Consign for a Consignment Sale/Moms Night Out, next Wednesday September 29th from 5:30-9:30 at Food Matters! Shop designer children’s and maternity clothing! Hope to see you there!
Food Matters is located at 4906 Brenman Park Drive in Alexandria.