Photo Credit: Mass Destruction
It’s the little things that can make a grocery shopping trip more enjoyable… like a free cookie!
I’m all about finding a good deal at the store, but sometimes it’s the small extra steps that a grocery store takes to make its customers feel welcome, that make all the difference … especially when shopping with kids! Keeping your children occupied and happy during a trip to the grocery store is a challenge, but if you can successfully do this, it makes the whole shopping process go much more smoothly! I’m so glad that stores have been listening to parents who request something for the kids while you shop. Here are some places you can get a free cookie for your child while grocery shopping in the DC metro area:
- Harris Teeter has a free sugar cookie available for kids near the deli section of the store and a free balloon for kids near check-out.
Plus, the past few weeks (August – September 2010), VIC card members who are signed up for the e-Vic weekly personalized deal e-mails have been receiving an offer for a FREE cookie or dessert item from the Starbucks counter at their local store. This week, my offer was for a complimentary reduced fat banana chocolate chip coffee cake slice. Yum!
- Giant (located in VA, DC, MD & PA) offers a free cookie to your child during a shopping trip if you just stop by the bakery and ask for one. Be sure to check with your local store for specifics on their program, but I was told at my local Giant that most stores you don’t need to sign up for anything, you can just ask at the bakery counter during any shopping trip.
- Magruder’s (located in VA & MD) offers a “Cookie Club” for children under 12 years of age. Just sign up your child for the club the next time you are in the store, and he or she can get a free cookie while you shop.
- Safeway has some stores that will give your child a free cookie at the bakery when you ask for one. This is not a store-wide policy, but check with your local store to see if they extend this offer. I was able to confirm over the phone with bakery employees at the Burke, VA store and the Bristow, VA store that they do this when they have enough cookies on hand.
- Target stores (such as SuperTarget and Target Greatland) with a grocery and bakery department inside reportedly offers children a free cookie while you shop. Thanks Brooke!
- Weis Markets (located in MD, NJ, NY, PA & WV) reportedly give out a free cookie to your youngster in their bakery. Check with your store for more details.
I have to admit, I’m also a fan of stores like Wegman’s, Whole Foods, Costco and Trader Joe’s that offer free food samples during certain times of the day while you shop. I just have to remember not to be too hungry while I’m shopping, otherwise I’ll make some impulse purchases!
Any other stores that you think should make this list or that are just extremely enjoyable for your kid’s overall shopping experience?