Oct 22

Hey DC Metropolitan Couponers – Best Sources For Coupon Inserts

Coupon Inserts in Washington DC Metro

For those new to the Washington DC metropolitan area or those who are just starting couponing, you may be wondering what are the best local newspapers to find coupons?

Where do you get your coupon inserts in the Washington DC area?

I have quite a few friends who have expressed interest in starting the couponing craze, but don’t know where to begin.  One of the most simple steps to take as a new coupon is to start collecting coupons and familiarizing yourself with local newspapers that offer coupon inserts. Here in Northern Virginia and the DC metro area there are quite a few sources.

Coupon Inserts (Smart Source, Red Plum, Proctor & Gamble, General Mills, etc.) from DC-area Newspapers:

1. The Washington Post (Sunday edition)
  2. Fairfax County Times (weekly publication)
  3. Gainesville Times (weekly publication)
  4. El Tiempo Latino (Sunday)
  5. Loudon Times-Mirror (weekly publication) thanks Liz!
  6. Mount Vernon Voice (weekly publication) thanks to comment from megaboog!
  7. The Prince William Pulse (weekly publication)
  8. The Manassas Journal Messenger (weekly publication)
  9. Alexandria Times (weekly publication) thanks to comment from Ana!
  10. Falls Church News-Press (bi-weekly publication) thanks to comment from Liane!

Most of these, with exception to the Washington Post, can be picked up at certain locations for free and/or are delivered to certain areas of Northern VA free of charge (although you will find some stores where they are sold for $0.35 – $1.50 per copy on the newsstand).

For example, so I’ve been told, some residents in Gainesville receive the Gainesville Times weekly and it normally includes Smart Source and Red Plum inserts. Certain regional libraries in Fairfax County offer free copies of the Fairfax Times starting on Wednesday afternoons. There are also newspaper dispensers placed at Metro stop locations and street racks (check near bus stops) where you can pick up free copies of the Washington Examiner and El Tiempo Latino.  Some Loudon County residents have the Loudon Times-Mirror delivered to their home for free.  The Mount Vernon Voice is available by subscription for $0.50 per week, but there are apparently promotional copies available from time to time at locations such as the Gold’s Gym on Rt. 1 in Alexandria (thanks for the great tip megaboog!).

So, I’m interested to find out what your favorite coupon insert sources are? Any other local sources I should include on this list?  Please let me know!

Liz @ Frugally Blonde October 23, 2009 at 11:07 am

I subscribe to the Sunday Washington Post, which includes all the coupon inserts each week. I also receive the Loudoun Times Mirror for free, which usually includes the Smart Source insert. I occasionally buy extra copies of the Times Mirror if the coupons are good, since it only costs $.50. (This was a great tip from Redemption Unlimited.)

frugalfriends October 23, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Liz! I’ll add the Loudon Times Mirror to my list!
I’ll also have to search on Redemption Unlimited’s site to see what other papers they mention for coupon inserts.

Redemption Unlimited Girls October 23, 2009 at 8:56 pm

A while back we documented all NOVA papers that carry the Red Plum/Valassis insert. This may come of us to you when assembling your list:

frugalfriends October 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thanks so much Redemption Unlimited gals!

megaboog November 8, 2009 at 11:57 am

Thanks Laura! When I lived in Alexandria, I would sometimes pick up the Mt. Vernon Voice for free at Gold’s Gym on Rt. 1. They would have the Smart Source inserts from the previous week, but no Red Plum.

frugalfriends November 8, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Thanks megaboog for letting me know that the Mount Vernon Voice has some coupon inserts! I just added that to my list of sources.
I lived briefly in Alexandria/Shirlington area, after college. Nice place to live!
Laura

Ana August 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Alexandria Times has the Smart Source insert.

frugalfriends August 26, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thanks Ana! I’ll add that to my list!
Laura

Liane September 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

The Falls Church News Press contains the Smart Source insert from the previous Sunday. It’s published on Thursdays and is free.

frugalfriends September 27, 2010 at 9:40 am

Thanks Liane! I’ll add the Falls Church News-Press to my list!
Laura

Kristi May 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Does the Washington Times have any coupon inserts? Is it worth it to pay $69.95 for a 1 yr subscription?

Laura May 22, 2011 at 7:22 am

Hi Kristi,
Thanks for the comment! Unfortunately the Washington Times does not have any coupon inserts. The Washington Post does, as well as some smaller local papers listed above in this post. There is a current deal going on for the Washington Post for $0.59 Sundays (up to 76% off) – wpsubscribe.com/springdiscount2 that you can sign up for through May 27th, 2011. I signed up for this discount offer over a year ago, and have been able to “negotiate” at the same rate each time I come up for renewal (every 26 weeks). I hope that helps!

Lisa June 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I live in West Alexandria and I’ve been all over the place looking for inserts from the Washington Examiner. Are there coupons only in certain areas of the Sunday version of this particular paper? thanks so much.