Feb 23

Who To Contact When You Get Incomplete or Damaged Coupon Inserts (Washington Post)

Hey coupon-ers in the DC metro area: If you have a subscription to the Washington Post Sunday edition, I wanted to let you know what to do in case you receive a damaged or incomplete paper.

Nobody’s perfect (even as much as I wish my newspaper delivery person was), and in case your coupon insert(s) are missing (like mine were two days ago), you should report it and see if you can still get the coupons delivered (they owe it to you!). Here’s what to do:

• You can report incomplete or damaged paper deliveries to the Washington Post by calling (202-334-6100 or 800-477-4679), e-mailing, or creating an online account and reporting it online.
  • Report the missing/damaged coupons or paper as soon as possible! Cecil, the customer service rep. with whom I  spoke on the phone yesterday said to try and call by 11:00 am on Sunday to insure the coupons can be re-delivered. If you call the next day or later in the week, you are not guaranteed to get your coupons, although they will try.

A question you might have is how do you know if you are missing coupon inserts from your Sunday newspaper? I keep up with posts on Sunday Coupon Preview and other frugal bloggers to make sure I’m not missing anything from my home delivered papers. I got my Red Plum insert and P&G insert two days ago, but was missing my Smart Source. I checked the Sunday Coupon Preview blog and noticed that there was a Smart Source issued for 2/21/2010, so I knew I needed to call the Post to report it.

Anyone else have helpful tips on how to deal with incomplete or damaged coupon inserts?
Has anyone ever bought at the newsstand and realized later that there were coupons missing? Would love to hear from you about it.

Muthering Heights February 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Hmmm, I never thought about this…thanks for the info!

frugalfriends February 24, 2010 at 12:02 am

Thanks for visiting my blog Jessica!
I’ve been enjoying your blog since discovering it from The Relevant Conference co-host info. I already *know* Dana from Mrs. MoneySaver (yet another wonderful co-host), and am hoping to join you all at the conference this October!
Laura

britain February 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I am so glad I found your blog! My smartsource coupons were missing too! I called and they credited my account but could not replace the coupons. :( I am curious to know if you got yours. Send me an email when you get a minute! Thanks for blogging!!!

frugalfriends February 26, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Hi Britain,
Glad that my post was helpful to you! I called the Post on Monday early afternoon and although they told me they could not guarantee it, they would attempt to re-deliver the coupon inserts. I was pleasantly surprised to find it on my front porch the next day (Tuesday). That’s a bummer that you weren’t able to get a replacement set of coupons, but that is good news that they were able to credit your account for those missing ones. I did not know they could do that, so that is good to know!
Thanks,
Laura

Maura February 27, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Great post – this has happened to me before but I always attributed it to bad karma and went about my day thinking I got stiffed my coupons…. Next time, I’ll report it. Thanks!

frugalfriends February 28, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Thanks Maura!
The first time I got a partial coupon insert I did the same thing. I was kind of grumpy and wondered why the front page and majority of the coupons were missing from my Smart Source. I thought ‘I should probably call and let them know’ but it was a hectic week and I got caught up with other things and didn’t call in time. Then when this happened again in February, but this time with an entire insert missing, I knew I had to call and figure out the correct procedure on how to report missing/damaged paper deliveries and how to get the coupons in your hands! Hope it helps others who might be busy or not realize when their paper delivery is missing coupon inserts!
Laura